Shakshuka is a flavorful Arabic dish made of poached eggs in tomato sauce with sauteed onions and garlic, seasoned with arabic spices like cumin, coriander and paprika. Wildly popular savory breakfast dish across the Arabic region. This traditional dish is known as the ultimate breakfast.
Its popularity grew because of the affordability of the common ingredients, made easy for large popularity to make and enjoy. In recent years many chefs have adopted the dish and shared it with different audiences across the world and it is safe to say it is an extremely popular dish.
Researching the history of this dish will take us back to one original source that many history books will tell us that this dish was brought to the Middle East by the “ Ottoman Empire” that had occupied the region for hundreds of years, bringing with them delicious dishes that became part of the region’s food history
There are many ways to make this dish, but today we are going the ultimate way using our ilFornino Wood Oven to cook this dish.
Our Wood ovens are made for easy use and the ultimate high temperature from the wood will surround any dish you make with balanced heat to allow a perfect cooking environment.
You can adjust the heat of the oven by adding as much wood as you need, and the thermostat on the side of the oven will keep you posted on the current temperature.
So follow along to make this delicious dish :
Wood oven baked Shakshuka:
- 1⁄2 cup of diced white onions.
- 3 cloves garlic ( diced).
- 1 cup of diced fresh and red tomatoes.
- 2 tbsp of tomato sauce.
- 3 eggs.
- Sea salt and black peppers
- 1 tbsp of arabic seasoning ( coriander, cinnamon, cloves, cumin...)
- 1⁄2 cup of crumbled feta.
- Black olive ( optional for garnish).
- Parsley ( optional for garnish).
- 2 tbsp of olive oil.
Equipments: Cast Iron
1. In the cast iron add 2 tbsp of olive oil, add diced onion and garlic.
2. Place in the preheated wood oven and cook for about 5-6 minutes or until the onions and garlic are slightly golden.
3. Add fresh tomatoes and 2 tbsp of tomato sauce. Add in the seasoning including salt and black pepper and arabic seasoning.
4. Mix well and back into the oven until the tomato mixture gets thick and jamy about 5 minutes time
5. Remove the cast rion from the oven safely using heat safe gloves, the cast iron going to be extremely hot by now. Make a small hole inside the cast iron and gently lay one egg at time in separate spaces inside the pan.
6. Add crumbled feta and olive, make sure to add little seasoning to the eggs for flavor.
7. And safely return the cast iron inside the hot wood oven for one last time, to cook the eggs. Leave the eggs in the oven according to your personal preference. If you prefer runny yolk, cook for only 4 minutes.
Serve this dish hot with your favorite bread.
Enjoy, ILfornino Pizza oven.