Recipe for Smoked Salmon Pizza in Wood-Fired Pizza Oven
While our ilFornino pizza ovens are inspired by the traditional models found in Naples, Italy, you can make much more than just traditional Neapolitan pizza in them. So if you’re looking for a wood-fired pizza with a modern twist, or a recipe with smoked salmon, look no further than this smoked salmon pizza.
Smoked salmon: a longtime favorite
Smoked salmon is a food that has been enjoyed for centuries by many different cultures, from Scandinavians to Native Americans. In the U.S. today, however, it’s probably best known as a staple of American Jewish cuisine, when served on top of a bagel with cream cheese and toppings like onions, capers, tomatoes, and cucumbers.
Originally created as a kosher-friendly alternative to eggs benedict, a dish that was sweeping New York City in the 1930s, bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon have enjoyed widespread popularity ever since. And enterprising chefs have offered their own spin on the dish throughout the years — the Great Bagel and Lox Book, for example, contains recipes with smoked salmon from cannoli to soup and even ice cream.
But smoked salmon pizza in particular was originally made famous by celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck, when it first debuted on his restaurant menu in 1982. It was such a hit that today, smoked salmon pizza is considered to be Wolfgang Puck’s signature dish. In the years since then, however, there have been many different iterations on the pizza recipe with smoked salmon — below, you’ll find our take on it.
Smoked salmon pizza: the perfect anytime meal
This pizza recipe with smoked salmon combines a range of different textures, from the crispy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside wood-fired crust to the smooth cream cheese and crunchy onions. And the saltiness of the smoked salmon, cream cheese, and capers are complemented perfectly by the acidity of the lemon juice and freshness of the chopped dill. The end result is a pizza you’ll remember (and crave!) long after you’ve finished it.
To go the extra mile, make the pizza dough yourself rather than buying it from the store (you could even make the cream cheese yourself if you’re feeling particularly ambitious!) Otherwise, opt for high-quality store-bought dough and cream cheese along with fresh produce. And of course, you can easily omit or substitute any toppings you like.
While the toppings make this smoked salmon pizza a great fit for breakfast, brunch, or lunch, you can enjoy it anytime. Pair it with a salad of mixed greens and a light vinaigrette for a balanced dinner, with a light white wine like a Chablis, Riesling, or Chardonnay on the side if you like.
Ready to get cooking? Read on!
Recipe: Smoked salmon pizza
Prep Time: 30 minutes, + 30-45 minutes to preheat oven
Cook Time: 1 minute
- 1 medium-sized ball (about 220g) pizza dough — store-bought or homemade
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 8 oz. pack of smoked salmon
- ½ red onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup of capers
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, finely chopped
How to make smoked salmon pizza
- Preheat your ilFornino wood-fired pizza oven — allow 30-45 minutes for it to reach baking temperature of 800° F
- Coat your dough ball in flour and place it on a flat, floured surface. Use your fingertips to press down and push out from bottom to top, leaving about one inch all around for the crust. Once the dough is about 8-9” in diameter, stretch the dough by crossing it between your closed fists in a circular motion until it reaches about 11-12” in diameter (find detailed instructions here)
- Use a fork to poke holes throughout the dough to prevent it from rising too much
- Place the dough on a peel, and slide it into your ilFornino Pizza Oven. Bake for 1 minute at 800° F
- Remove the dough using your peel, placing it on a heat-safe surface. Let rest for 5-7 minutes — if the dough is hot, it will cause the cream cheese to melt
- Spread the cream cheese evenly around the crust. Top with smoked salmon, onions, and capers
- Cut into 8 pieces. Serve with freshly chopped dill, squeezing lemon juice on top to taste
Make restaurant-quality pizza at home with ilFornino pizza ovens
If you’re a pizza superfan, cooking enthusiast, or just looking for a way to upgrade your home meals, ilFornino pizza ovens are an excellent way to create an unforgettable dining experience. Whether you choose to invite friends over for a pizza night to chat and enjoy a glass of wine while you sit around the fire, or simply shake up your family dinners with meals hot out of a wood-fired oven, you’re sure to bring a little extra life to your backyard or kitchen.